February 15, 2018

If you break my cell phone.......


I absolutely love this picture of the Savior.  It speaks to me. This is my "go-to" picture.  He is holding up the light and reaching out to me.  Right to me.  At least that's how I feel when I look at it.

I'm so grateful that we aren't forced to follow Him.  There is no force or coercion or fear pushing us.  We get to make our own choice.  We can follow closely behind, staying as close to Him as we can, or hang back a little, or just move along very slowly.  We can even stray and come join Him again.  It is our choice.  He loves us no matter where we are on this journey of following Him.

Today we talked about Justice and Mercy in seminary.  We talked about how the students would feel if a little brother broke their cell phone!  They would want justice! 

"What have you done?!  You should not have been touching my phone!  I need this phone and now it's broken!" 

But their little brother would want mercy. 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to! Don't be mad!" 

Justice vs mercy.  Some of the kids said they would have a hard time forgiving their brother.  "He shouldn't have touched it.".  Some felt bad for the little brother "He's so sad about what happened!" But they all agreed they should receive a new phone!  :)

Now look at the opposite example:  What if you got caught cheating on a test in school?  It truly was your one and only time you ever cheated!

The teacher would demand justice!  "You get an automatic "F"!" 

But you would beg for mercy! "This is the first time I ever did anything like this! I didn't have any time to study!  I won't do it again, I promise!  I need a good grade in this class!"

(In this example the kids unanimously said, "Teachers never show mercy!")  :)

I'm grateful that I have a Savior who is able to mediate my injustices and hear my cries for mercy, and fulfill them both, in His loving and yet very painful and agonizing way.  His infinite and eternal way.  I felt like I received this, this very morning.  I did not properly prepare my lesson for today.  This has never happened all year.  I prayed (begged/pleaded) while driving to seminary, for help.  I didn't deserve it (needed mercy) because I had procrastinated (needed Justice).  But the kids deserved a good lesson because they make such a sacrifice to be there! 

I received mercy today.  And to show my thanks, I'm doubling up my preparation for tomorrow's lesson!  And the one after that, and the one after that, and so on......until June 8th (who's counting??)

Now if you break my cell phone?  That will put my ability to show mercy to the test.  No one breaks my cell phone but me!  (yes, I've broken more than one cell phone.........Reid has been merciful!  Thank you, Dear!)







2 comments:

Janis said...

Justice and mercy are easy to talk about but hard to put into practice in our lives. Thanks for teaching us in a practical way! That light the Savior is holding looks so enticing--why don't we go towards the light every minute of every day?

Laura said...

Great thoughts!
I like that picture. Do you have it? We should find it for you to put in your home!