March 17, 2018

Remembering

My newest favorite chapter is Helaman 5.  So much happens!

Helaman turns over the Judgment Seat to his son, Nephi and gives him some great advice.  The word "remember" is used @ 15 or 16 times in the first verses, that's why it's sometimes called "The Remember Chapter."  That is such an important word.  We tend to remember things that really matter to us.  I asked the youth what they remember their parents telling them.  The answers were unique.  From, "Remember who you are" to "Don't do anything stupid" to "Clean up your room!"

I remember reading once that a Mom asked her kids what the one thing was that she said the most.  These were little kids.  The answers were "Get your shoes on!" - "Come on!  We're leaving!" - "Stop fighting!" and "Clean up this mess!"  It really shocked her that those were the words her kids remembered.  It really shouldn't be surprising.  We usually save the most special words for special times.  We have a life to run which requires us saying some of those Mom-isms.  (Over and over and over!)

What do you remember your parents telling you?  One thing I remember my Mom saying is, "People are more important than things."  I remember the day she taught me this.  She was sitting at her desk writing notes to people.  She loved to send people handwritten notes and cards.  I asked her why she did this and she taught me that taking care of others is more important than taking care of "stuff".  It has had a big impact on me.   For years I would start my day by thinking, "Who needs something from me today?" and I would write, call, drop something by, or just say a prayer for them.  I would do it before I started doing all the "stuff" that I needed to do.  It was a great way to start the day!   I have let that fall by the wayside and I miss it.  (Disclaimer:  I never was perfect in this regard at all!  But I tried.)

Well, the second half of Helaman 5 is completely amazing!  Nephi and Lehi (who are brothers) quit their prestigious positions of leadership and travel all over the land as missionaries.  Are they successful?  YES!  8,000 baptized in just Zarahemla alone.  But as most good things go, they run into some trouble and get thrown into prison.  A few days pass before they are to be put to death.  As the guards prepare, they notice that Nephi and Lehi are surrounded by fire!  And they are not being burned!  Then there are earthquakes and clouds of darkness!  It's quite a scene!   And finally, they hear a still, small voice speaking to them, telling them to repent.  One of the guards recognizes what is going on and explains it to the others.  Jesus Christ is speaking to them!  And they find themselves included inside the ring of fire.  And then the part that brings me to tears......they hear another voice.......the voice of Heavenly Father bearing witness of His Son.  It is a wondrous miracle that we don't talk about nearly enough.  The Lamanites that witness this, number @ 300 people.  They are converted and go tell all the other people and most of them are also converted, in fact at this point, more Lamanites are converted than Nephites.  So we have a little switch-a-roo in righteousness, really all starting with the missionary labors of Nephi and Lehi among the Lamanites.  Meanwhile there is great pride which has slipped in to the very happy and peaceful Nephites.  The pride gets so out of hand that many Nephites join with the Gadianton Robbers.  Talk about a story twist!

It's a great story.
A miraculous story.
Quite the turn of events.
Quite a lot to REMEMBER:

Remember how quickly people can turn.
Bad to good.  Example:  Lamanites.  Don't think that others are not ready for the gospel.
Good to bad.  Example Nephites.  Don't think that others are so converted that they will not fall away.  

It's a great chapter, great story, and now I hope you will look it up, and remember it!




1 comment:

Laura said...

oooh, this is good stuff.

If I were to answer just one thing I remember you telling me it would be this:

Follow the Prophet.