I have written some letters I never plan to send. Why on earth would I do this?? Well, I have learned that I am better at communicating in writing than in speaking. In speaking, I find myself stumbling for the right words and later regretting what I said or didn't say. But when I write, I can just write without going back and changing much, if anything. The words seem to flow out smoothly from my brain. I'm not sure how or why or even if this is a legit thing, but it has been true for me. Writing comes natural. Putting verbal words together is harder!
So my next few blog posts will be my unsent letters. I post them for fun, and maybe you will see something in them that relates to you, or just helps you think about something new. The letters were just ways for me to get my thoughts down in writing because I couldn't possibly say these things in person! Heavens no! So here's my first one, written to three lovely girls in my ward who I just admire and love so much! I see myself in them all the time.
May 10, 2013
Dear
Heather, Amy, and Corinne,
I thought
about you today. Not just a passing
thought either. I thought about you and your little boys. You see, today is Mike's 18th birthday and I
am feeling reflective. I'm remembering
him as a boy the ages of your little guys.
He was so cute and funny, and so similar to your boys. He was always making us laugh with his funny
faces and things he said. (He still
does!) I'm remembering all the fun I had
raising him! You are in for such a fun
time. I'm so excited for you! Raising a son is wonderful!
I
like to watch you with your children. Seeing
you with your boys somehow takes me back to those days. I'm not judging you as
you take them in and out of church. Just
the opposite! I'm so proud of you that you are there with them even though
it's hard. You are having the same experiences
that I had. And they make good memories! At least that's how I remember them on his 18th
birthday! :)
And
forgive me for watching and smiling at you as you raise them. It's never a smirk....it's a "good for
you" smile and a "thanks for reminding me" smile, and an "isn't
it wonderful that we're all united as mothers" smile.
You're
raising a future man, missionary, husband, provider, and Priesthood Holder. He will learn to honor women through you. And the Lord will help you. I am amazed looking back at all the things I've
realized must have been either inspiration or luck. Was it really just luck? No, I know better,
and you will too. How awesome is
that! We are raising our boys with
direction from God! And we are doing the
same thing mother's have done for generations of time! You can do it! You are SO lucky! You get to raise a son!
Love, Kathy
1 comment:
Thank you!! Can this be a letter to me, too?
Post a Comment