January 8, 2013

The January Gift

No January blues here. Nope. I can honestly say I've "self taught myself" how to enjoy January. I can sum it up in these words: Give yourself a break!
I have spent too many January's beating myself up for being so tired after the holidays and being mad at myself for still having Christmas decorations up, and for being lazy and feeling like I'm not accomplishing much. Not this year! Because I have finally learned!

January is a gift!

It's cold and dreary out there. Not very inviting. So stay home! You'll be on the go again soon enough. I used to be mad at myself for just wanting to sit on the couch bundled in a blanket reading. But why? Isn't January the perfect time to do just that? My decorations may not be put away yet. So what? So they're not put away by the 10th? They will be by the 20th or 30th. I'm very tired the first part of January every year. I have finally learned to just listen to my body and rest up. Instead of being so frustrated, I just know from experience that the first two weeks of January, I'm tired! And it won't last. I'll be a normal fully-functioning person again by mid to late January. So enjoy the January gift. Can you imagine if we had to go from December straight to October and all the Fall busy-ness, or straight to May and yard work? I love that we go from the busy holidays to the quiet month of January.
So put that movie on for the kids, and find yourself a good book to read. January's gift to us? Restoring ourselves for the rest of the busy year!





6 comments:

Janis said...

That Baby New Year looks familiar! I also have learned this about January but not as young as you learned it! From my couch to yours Love, Janis

Karen said...

Sounds fabulous!!

Katie said...

I love, love your monthly tips.

Keep em' coming!

Still laughing about the new years baby photo!

Laura said...

Love the post, but not the picture. I'm a little scared of that baby daddy picture!

Amanda said...

This is so fabulous. This year since I was sick, I let a lot of things go in December and it was such a nice, relaxed Christmas. People kept asking if I was stressed but I wasn't. I will remember that for Janaury, too!

Jeff said...

Very good advice ... It's 11am on Saturday and I'm still in my PJ's. ;-)