December 30, 2012

In honor of the Sabbath

A few years ago, Claire was invited to (another) birthday party on a Sunday.  I had usually taken the chicken way out and told the Mom of the party girl that Claire wouldn't be able to come, giving no good reason.  But this time I was feeling  inspired to be a missionary.  So I said a prayer, called the girl's mom, and said, "I'm so sorry that Claire can't come to the party, but Sunday is our Sabbath."  I just left it at that and waited for a response.  To my utter shock, her response was, "Oh how wonderful!  Our Sabbath is on Saturday and that's why my daughter didn't come to Claire's party last year!"  We both had a good  laugh and I felt relief in knowing we could talk about the Sabbath without any nervous tension. I told her I was Mormon, and she told me they were Jewish.  She was really thrilled that I had given her the "real" reason, and seemed embarrassed that she hadn't given me the "real" reason when it was her turn to do the RSVP'ing.  She told me how special the Sabbath is to her, and how she knows mine must be just as special to me. By the time I got off the phone, I had great respect for their family, and I think she did for ours too.

This little interaction from several years ago has greatly impacted me!  She talked so sweetly and reverently about their Sabbath.  I have been forever changed.

I try not to refer to Sunday as Sunday most of the time.  I try to call it the Sabbath.  It says so much more.  We have moved too far from the meaning and purpose of the Sabbath.  It wasn't long ago when things were closed on Sunday.  The fast paced world also took a break once a week and I loved it.  We would drive to church and see others driving dressed up and looking like they were going to their church.  Parking lots at stores were empty. People were home spending quality time with their family.  Maybe I have a flawed memory, but it felt like everyone acted different on Sunday no matter who they were or what their beliefs were. 

I feel bad for others who now see Sunday as just another day to do all the things they need to do.  Maybe they get more done than I do, or maybe they just waste more time.  I feel like the Lord has blessed us for keeping the Sabbath day by making our Saturday's more productive.  I love having a break from thinking about the yardwork and the grocery store and exercising.  I love having a day where we are home and happy and more relaxed.  I love watching church movies and discussing what the kids learned at church and having a simple but nicer meal in the dining room. We always had a Sunday box for younger kids that contained things they would only pull out once a week, which made them exciting.  And we still always play a game.  We even have a game schedule for Sunday's.  We take naps.  We write in journals and work on Callings or Seminary or Personal Progress.  And I love that the kids pull out the New Era and stay off their phones and technology more than usual and just talk to us.  It is sacred time.  And thus it deserves the name Sabbath.  It is more than just a Sunday.  It is sacred time to me.  I feel safe with my family. I  feel comfortable.  I feel calm.  I love the Sabbath Day.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

This was great to read and I agree. NIce thoughts.

Annette said...

Beautiful experience and beautifully written, Kathy. Thanks for your good example.

Laura said...

This inspires me to be more forthcoming about my sabbath day to others. I usually take the easy route and just mention I can't do such and such on Sunday...for no reason. This was a very well worded post, and I appreciate being reminded of this! I remember our Sunday box, and how fun that was!