April 14, 2011

Trying to EXPRESS my feelings.

I have been working now for a few months. Only two days a week. Here are the things I've learned about being a working girl.

The Good:
I have to be more organized with the fewer hours I have at home, so I waste less time.
The kids have to step up and help more.
I enjoy seeing my husband in "his" world.
I get to dress up and talk to real adults! I even get the occasional lunch out.
Sometimes it makes a good excuse; "oh darn, I'm working that day!"
It's nice to know I can do it, and I'm brushing up on my skills.
A little extra money is nice.
I appreciate my hard working provider ALOT more!

The not as good:
I am tired when I get home and don't fix much of a dinner.
I have to tell the kids "I can't talk/help/do that because I have to go to work."
I find myself thinking about work when I'm at home instead of thinking about mothering/my calling/other good things.
It's harder to schedule VT'ing (on both ends).
The kids come home to an empty house.
I don't get to the house cleaning much beyond just putting things away.
We talk about work in front of the kids too much.
I've stopped baking, reading, crocheting, & gardening. No time for hobbies. Work is now my hobby.
The excitement of seeing something completed at work makes the excitement of getting another load of laundry done at home seem really unimportant and dull.

There's more things I could list for both categories. When I'm getting ready for work, I'm usually thinking, "I have so many other things I should be doing right now!". But when I'm there I'm usually thinking, "This is fun!".

I know my working is very temporary. So I enjoy it knowing I'll soon be back to full time homemaking. But I do love working with Reid, whether it's at home or the office!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, what a good list! Very true...I agree completely. It's amazing how hard it is to work and keep a household functioning. I guess that's why working women hire maids. :) I think it is great that you are working with dad....except why is it that you are always working on days when I call home? :)

Jeff said...

Nice points Kathy. I enjoyed the insight. It's amazing when major rolls are added or taken from our lives how sometimes we notice things differently.

Annette said...

Enjoyed your lists of pros and cons! Must be fun to work with Reid and enlightening to their perspective. So fun to see your blog!