We had a wonderful Christmas!! But the highlight for me was on Saturday, Dec. 18th when the youth in our ward went to the Seattle Temple to do Baptisms for the Dead. We needed to have 3 or 4 sisters there to assist. When 5 showed up, the Temple worker said in her sweetest voice, "Oh, we only need 3 or 4 of you. Would any of you be willing to be baptized?" "I would!" I said before I looked down the row of my fellow sisters and saw them each shaking their heads, "No way". Oops. What had I done?
They gave me a white jumpsuit while they gave the other sisters white dresses and shoes. I didn't get any shoes. They gave me a white scrunchie for my hair instead. Hm.
When we were walking into the dressing room to change, reality hit me and I realized why no one else had said yes. I was going to get WET. Completely wet. Meaning, no make up, no hair brush, and alot of people were going to see me. The jumpsuit was very unflattering and invoked laughter from some. And my feet were cold!
I sat in the baptismal room and waited for my turn. It was about then that I realized I would have to be baptized by a man in my ward. While other men in my ward watched. What was I doing?
I can joyfully tell you that every one of my concerns were of absolutely no concern at all!! My hair dried unusually well with no help. A little bit of make up I had been carrying around in my purse for years magically did the trick. The Bishop who baptized me (20 times, by the way!) was so helpful and explained exactly what I should do. The men in the ward were so kind and looked the other way when needed. I guess it looked so easy, that my friend went and did it, too!
The next day I got a call: "I just have to tell you how that touched me that you were willing to get down and dirty with your girls yesterday." (I've never thought of being baptized in the temple as getting down and dirty before!) "It was what a true leader would do." Wow. Made me feel as good as when I was in the temple!
The rest of the season I felt that I truly had served someone who was needy (waiting). It gave my Christmas perspective. It gave me perspective about the temple. It gave me insight into what the youth experience. I highly recommend it! But bring a pair of white socks and a big white towel. You'll be warmer and drier, and you'll feel really, really good afterwards. Yes, getting "down and dirty" in the temple was a good experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment