July 25, 2009

To Bee or not to Bee

I've often thought that we have unusual Family Home Evenings. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe we're just an odd family. That could be it. Yep, I guess that's it.

I had to give a class on Family Home Evening years ago at a Stake Women's Conference and I remember reading a quote that said something like, "Your highest priority on Monday should be FHE." I took that literally and most Monday's I find myself thinking about FHE early in the day. By thinking about it throughout the day, we usually have more effective ones, instead of the "Oh, look at the clock, we better think of something quick" ones, although we've had plenty of those, too. One way we've mixed it up a bit, is by creating new categories instead of the usual Lesson, Treats, and Music. We've had all kinds of categories from "Joke" to "Couch" (the person on couch gets to sit on the couch all by themselves....this one originated from kids.....no names of course.....sitting on the couch for FHE and constantly saying, His toe touched me! or She's sitting on my side of the couch! so having "Couch" became a necessity, and solved the problem!) One of our categories that we've all enjoyed has been "Knowledge." The kids (and Reid and I!) like to pick a topic and look it up on the computer and then share something about it. The above picture is of Claire doing her "Knowledge". She asked for a volunteer from the audience and Jeff volunteered not knowing what he was getting in to. She told us about the 5 parts of a bee's body while putting them one by one on Jeff until he was in full Bee costume! (You can't see the wings in this picture, but they're on his back!) He's always a good sport, and Claire is always creative! This FHE picture is a great memory for me. We love FHbEe!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Great post. Thanks for all the FHE tips. We need all the help we can get. Love couch! Love it!
Wish we could apply that to the van too.

I like the idea of making fhe your priority.

Glad you're blogging.

Karen said...

That was such a cute post and I love all the fhe ideas of different categories. I remember our family always learned a vocabulary word for fhe. I have great memories of fhe and it sounds like your kids will too.

Annette said...

Cute ideas!

Amanda said...

Claire sounds so creative! I always like to hear new FHE ideas. Hey, we should visit you sometime!

Laura said...

I always like calling on Tuesdays so I can hear what you did for FHE.... that is how creative you are! I still remember going to the fire station in Batavia. And Jeff and I do "knowledge" for FHE every week too! :)