When Laura graduated in 2001, Claire was only 22 months old. We were out to dinner as a family, with Claire sitting in a high chair. We started talking about what life would be like when Claire graduated from High School. We figured out it would be in 2017! That sounded SO FAR away! The kids started thinking, "Where will I be? Will I be married? Will I have KIDS?" So we all put our hands in the center of the table and made a vow that no matter what was going on, we would all gather when Claire graduated from High School. The kids probably forgot, but I kept that tucked in my head.
As Claire's graduation creeped closer, I mentioned it to the kids. But life is complicated and we had such a variety of obstacles. The timing was awful with different family members trying to move, experiencing morning sickness, colds and sickness, working with no time off, and in the middle of job interviewing. It seemed like it couldn't possibly happen. Could it?
Through some great sacrifice, everyone miraculously made it work! And it was a dream come true!
We gathered under one roof for a few days of fun, lots of laughs, and occasional chaos! (That roof we gathered under felt pretty tight at moments!) Lots of baby-passing, teasing of little girls, not enough eating (I under planned), and some fun in the sun. Grandpa Ricks joined us and he was the star of our Kick-ball game when he caught a high fly ball! We had a swingin' good time as you will see below!
The only time it rained was when we gathered for a family picture. It was kind of ironic! So we took one inside then braved the front porch for picture #2. They came out really well! Thank you to Laura for setting us up then running in for the shot, and Jeff C. for some minor photo shopping, or should I say, "photo swapping" as he combined some pictures to get the kids all looking at the camera.
Sunday we were joined by Becky and Mike. More laughing. Then the good bye's had to start. First Mike, then Grandpa and the Wismer's, The next day it was Jeff, Kate, and Blakely. Tuesday was good bye to the Chapman's followed by the Tolsma's.
It's quiet again. It's calm. Things are back in their usual places. And I'm missing everyone. I love that we can get together and everyone gets along. Everyone helps. I already said to Reid this morning, "When should we do it again? I have some ideas on what we could do.....and won't it be fun when the grandkids are older,......... and Mike and Claire are married, and.....and.......and."
I think I'd really like to be with these guys forever. Ultimate family reunion. Maybe we put our hands together and all agreed, in spite of life's obstacles, to sacrifice and all be together in the next life.....sort of a Graduation from Earth. I hope we did that. I hope we do it.
Claire was chosen as one of two Graduation Speakers and she did so amazing! She even got a standing ovation! She was eloquent, funny, poised, and passed along some great wisdom.
Plus she sang "The Star Spangled Banner" with a small group.
Ok, done letting my pride fall out all over the place.
But she was AMAZING!!!
Now I'm done. For now.
| The Graduation Attendees |
Siblings Reunited
Group Hug
Our last high school graduate!
Back Row: Laura + Adeline, Jeff T., Claire, Kate + Blakely, Jeff, Mike, Jeff C. + Luke, Marie
Front Row: Grandma + Rosalyn, Grandpa + Brielle
![]() |
| The inside shot. A special thank you to supportive in-laws who sacrificed to make this reunion happen! We love you! |
The swingers
Rosalyn, Jeff C + Luke, Marie, Brielle, Claire, Jeff, Kate + Blakely,
Mike, Grandpa, Laura + Adeline, Jeff T, and me.
Look at that sky!
| Sisters! The True Swingers! We know how to live it up at Shari's! |



2 comments:
I love this! What a great thing!!
So glad this dream came true for your family! What a wonderful weekend and now on to forever!!
Post a Comment