September 3, 2013

Be-why-you

Here's to the newest BYU Cougar! Michael Reid Bates!!

Mike's first day of college is today. I'm feeling nostalgic. Since I doubt he's going to take a picture of himself in his new clothes and backpack before heading out of his dorm, I will post this picture of him singing a solo at Baccleuriate. This picture has special meaning to me because he was singing my favorite song, Come Thou Fount. I was accompanying him and when he got up to the microphone he dedicated his performance to me. I was pretty teary eyed trying to read the music to accompany him after that, but I muddled through and I count it as one of my dearest memories.


We had so much fun in Provo getting him set up. We even attended some of the Parent Orientation events. I thought i was experienced, seeing this was my fourth child to start BYU, but I was soon humbled to learn of parents bringing their NINTH child to BYU! Wow. They deserve a break in tuition!

As part of orientation, they gave us a brochure of BYU facts. So here's a little quiz for you. This is all based on the current Fall Semester. Just guess!

1. Which sports did BYU excel in, in 2012? There were 4.
2. What was the 2013 Freshman admittance rate? (it's a percentage)
3. How many new Freshman are there?
4. What is the average ACT score and GPA of these new Freshmen?
5. How many countries have BYU Performing Arts Groups performed in?
6. What is the percentage of students who do research as an undergraduate?
7. Where in the Top 10 does BYU rank in new patent applications for University's?
8. How many students are currently enrolled?
9. What is the Single/Married ratio?
10. What is the Male/Female ratio?
11. What is the LDS/Non LDS ratio?
12. How many countries are represented in the enrollment?
13. What are the top ethnicities?
14. How many total degrees were awarded in 2012?
15. How many total living Alumni are there?
16. What is current Undergraduate LDS Tuition?
17. What is the Law/Business schools Tuition?
18. How many Full Time Faculty is there?
19. How many full time Staff?
20. How many student employees were there in 2012?
21. What are the top 3 Majors at BYU?
22. What year was the Honor Code instituted?
23. How many Bachelor's Degrees does BYU offer?
24. What is the percentage of students who speak a second language?
25. What is the percentage of students who are Returned Missionaries?
26. How many languages are taught at BYU?
27. What are the three top countries represented by students?


Now for the answers. If you got ANY right I am impressed!

1. Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Men's Basketball, & Men's Cross Country
2. 55%
3. 5,526
4. 28.4 and 3.8
5. 100
6. 30%
7. #1
8. 33,336
9. 75/25
10. 52/48
11. 98.5/1.5
12. 110
13. Asian/Pacific Islander & Hispanic
14. 7,978
15. 407,419
16. $2,425
17. $5,640
18. 1,487
19. 2,529
20. 13,500
21. Exercise Science, Elementary Education, & Psychology
22. 1949
23. 193
24. 70%
25. 50%
26. 85. (32% of students study a foreign language with the US average being 9%)
27. Canada, South Korea, and Mexico

Also, we rank #5 in the nation for Graduates with the least debt. We had 3 athletes in the London Olympics. With all this good stuff, I was surprised to see we rank #68 as Best National University. I think we're #1! Go Cougs, and Go Mike!

5 comments:

MollyE said...

This is fascinating! I love BYU so much. I hope at least one of my kids go there!

Janis said...

Loved the Quiz! Hooray for BYU!! And wishing Mike all the best--he will be True Blue for sure!

Katie said...

loved it,

Good luck to Mike!

Annette said...

I learned a few things about my alma mater! I think when I attended they let anybody in! ;-)

Jeff said...

Interesting facts, go BYU