August 15, 2012

Something you may not know

It's fun to learn new things about yourself. Unlike anyone else in the family I grew up in, I have learned I am an animal lover. I didn't know this about myself for a long time. But now I realize I always have been.

As a child I remember begging my parents for pets and enjoying my friends' pets. We were not a pet family although they did oblige me with kittens two different times. But they never stayed around long. And I mean not longer than a few weeks. They would "run away". Hm, I wonder about that now that I'm a parent. :)

After 25 years of basically a petless marriage, Reid and I decided to jump with both feet into the pet world. We started with two kittens, followed by a dog. I have enjoyed it for the most part although I think I am a dog lover more than cats. And in Bates fashion, we have quirky pets, which makes it more funny. We are entertained by our pets daily and they have given us some great laughs!

So when our Bishop's family had a surprise litter of pups, I was quite the sucker and loved to go see them. Which of course led to us getting one, which leads me to this post which is actually an introduction of our newest member, Molly, the Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab/Corgi mix puppy who has joined our family. (She was named by the owners, so no offense to my niece, Molly!)

She is such a light in my day with her funny antics and sweet ways. She is an outside dog only. Already I'm so glad we have her. The kids ran around the yard with her so much tonight; I loved watching and hearing them laugh.

I do think pets are helpful for some, but not for everyone. But in our family, our pets have been healing, easy, hilarious, and a great addition. And I want more! I want some chickens, rabbits, and sheep. But I'll settle for our cute little Molly for now. The farm animals will have to wait!




Welcome to my corner of the world, Molly!

3 comments:

Janis said...

That is the cutest puppy ever!

MollyE said...

Adorable!! You should go for chickens next. Lots of our friends have them here and love them.

Jeff said...

Chickens eh? Ha ha ... tell Reid to start on that Coup