October 30, 2010

Mom

My Mom would have been 87 this past week. I am surprised at how often I want to talk to her. Just pick up the phone and have her there. Telling her about my latest problem, or good news, or just having her tell me that I can do it, whatever it is. I still sometimes think, "Oh I should call and tell Mom......"

My Mom could make everyone feel like they were the most important person to her. I want to develop that quality.

I can picture her puttering in the kitchen, and sitting at her desk in the Family Room. I can see her making omelets on a Sunday evening or cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I can see her in her orange church dress that made her dark hair look so pretty. I can see her in her slippers. I can see her sitting on the porch watching me roller skate or put on a show. I can see her reading her scriptures in the flowery chair in the Family Room. I can see her checking on her rose bushes in the backyard. I can see her just giggling with her sister, Doris. I can see her and Dad coming home from the Temple on a Friday night. I can see her picking the blooms off of her gigantic Gardenia bush in the front yard. I can see her dust mopping the kitchen floor. I can see her ironing. I can see her sitting on the couch watching Perry Mason. I can see her driving the car and lifting her bad hand up to the steering wheel. I can see her praying during family prayer. She had a sweet voice when she prayed. A reverent kind of voice that I loved.

Every time I think about her, she is smiling. I don't know why. She wasn't a huge smiler. But every time I picture her, she's up there smiling. So in that way, she keeps on mothering me. She teaches me that life is short, and that joy is ahead, and that I can do it. Because she did it. Whatever I'm worrying about that day, I will get through it like she did, and end up smiling.

Everything that I am, I am because of her. I know that's cliche, but I can't think of any area of my life of any importance that she hasn't influenced. How I did in school, how I treat others, how I dress, how I cook, who I married, how I mother, how I do my callings, how I feel about the savior. She lives on through me.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Very well said, I miss her too.

Laura said...

Very well written. Beautiful. Did you know I feel all of these things towards YOU? :)

Janis said...

What a great tribute about a great Mom by a great sister!

MollyE said...

Oh, I loved this post!

Annette said...

Beautifully said, cuz. I miss my Mom all the time. We were lucky (I mean BLESSED!) with such wonderful mothers, weren't we?