September 20, 2009

The Big Potato

I am a better person today than I was a week ago. I got to sit at the foot of the prophet and be taught while he looked right into my eyes!

Ok, so I was in our Stake Center Cultural Hall. And oh yes, I was straining my neck looking up at the screen right above me as he was broadcasting live from Salt Lake. But as he spoke, Claire tapped me on the shoulder, and without taking her eyes off the screen, said, "Mom, he's looking straight at me." That's when I noticed. He was looking straight at ME, too.

And I felt something.

I have always felt that Pres. Thomas S. Monson is our living prophet today, but as I sat there, literally "at his feet", looking up into his eyes, I KNEW. I have a testimony that he has been called of God to lead us today. And I love that each of us can know for ourselves. And I do!!

So are you wondering why the title of this post is "The Big Potato?" Well, this is how it ties in. Mike has started seminary and I heard that he was making a comment in class one morning, and referred to Pres. Monson as The Big Potato. I think he meant to say "The Big Kahuna" or something like that, but The Big Potato has stuck, and, no mocking intended, it will be the nickname of our prophet in our home, for a long time!

2 comments:

Janis said...

You are definitely a spud off the Big Potato! Thanks for sharing a spiritual as well as humorous post--you're just like the Prophet himself!

Annette said...

What a great post! I love President Monson! Did you know he spoke at our great Uncle Phil's funeral? He was a friend to so many Swedish-Americans.