March 25, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere, but not a drop to drink



I feel like the ancient mariner from this poem......they ran out of water on their voyage, but alas, they were surrounded by water.....



Yes, we live in Washington. Yes it's raining. So why don't we have any water??


Our well does not produce. Our neighbors on both sides have plenty of water, and most people in our neighborhood have endless water supplies, but here and there, there is a house (lucky us) who's well just does not produce enough water. It isn't a big deal except when we run out......


.....which happened this weekend. It's our own fault. We hadn't checked it lately. You know, you don't know what thirst is until you don't have any water coming out of your faucets!! It's the strangest thing.....when I know I can't have a drink, I just get so thirsty!! And talk about embarrassing...I had to take a shower at the neighbors home!! I was desperate, ok? And they offered. And they have endless water, so I let it flow and it was great.


We now have over 3,000 gallons thanks to a fill up from the local water company. But it was just kind of a slap in the face to look outside and see rain, but not have any flowing in your home. Oh, well, that's our well for ya!

Advice:
Before anyone drills a well, they might want to read this article: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1281661.html which talks about using a divining stick that vibrates where you should drill for water. Seriously, there are more people who trust this method, than ever before. I guess the person who drilled our well didn't use one. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about how much water we could have had if we'd used one of those. OH WELL!!!


5 comments:

Janis said...

Just reading this post made me thirsty!

Heidi said...

Yes, I'm definitely going to get a big drink of water. The house we're buying has a well. I didn't even think to ask if it actually produced water. I just assumed you have a well, you have water. Oh dear, one more thing to worry about.

Kathy said...

Don't worry, when our well does give us water, it is the best tasting water you'll ever have!! In spite of this blog, I'm a big fan of wells....you'll love it and never want to go back!

Annette said...

Well, well, hope your personal drought is over for now. That is interesting! The only thing we could get out of a well in St. George is red dust.

Karen said...

I usually never feel thirsty but whenever I talk about water that thristy feeling kicks in. Glad your well is up and running again.