These Things Don't Really Happen to People You Know, Do They??
So I don't want to make a big deal out of this because it's already died down in Claire's mind, but her school was put on a real live lock down recently. It seems there was a hit and run accident near her school. The guy who did the hitting, decided to run into Claire's school! Claire was innocently eating her lunch in the cafeteria when policemen came in with the principal and told the kids that there was a man that the police needed to find hiding at their school and the kids needed to stay very quiet. They couldn't leave for recess, or any other reason. (Think bathroom!) Claire said that she did just what they told her to do and she ate her lunch very quietly and then sat in the cafeteria quietly for a long time. Other kids at the school were in classrooms, gym, library, etc. and they all had to stay there and sit quietly. Most of them had access to windows where they could see policemen sneaking around corners.
Amazingly, the principal said that the kids truly did sit quietly....they seemed to sense that this was real and they needed to cooperate. They finally caught the guy, who really meant no harm to anybody, but nobody knew that at the time.
Claire just happened to be in a locked down part of the school where she couldn't see what was going on, (not much window coverage) but they did have "A sheriff with a gun!" coming in and out giving them reports such as, "It shouldn't be much longer boys and girls. Thank you for sitting so quietly!" and "Don't worry, we're taking care of the situation. You're going to be just fine."
When Claire came home from school, she was shaken up but had fun telling the story. I didn't take it very seriously when she first started telling me what had happened. She was upset about missing her lunch recess, the longest one of the day. That and music. She had to sit iquietly in the cafeteria when she normally would have gone to music class after lunch recess.
All I have to say is this: An Elementary School??? What was he thinking?? You can't exactly hide when you're surrounded by little people. And Claire, way to go sitting quietly for so long. I'm not sure I could have done it. I would have had a hard time not whispering to my neighbor or needing to use the restroom! You rock!!
3 comments:
Wow, what a story.
Was Claire shaken up about missing lunch, recess, and music or the police & situation?
I got a kick out of her being upset about that.
This is Becky/Mom. An hour after Steven should have been home from elem. school one day, some of the other moms in the neighborhood were in their front yards wondering where their children were too. We tried calling the school. . .no answer, so I hopped in the car and drove to the school, police were everywhere and I started to panic, what's going on? I marched right in and just as I did, they locked the doors behind me, and announced over the loud speaker that the school was in a lock-down, no one in, no one out. I was the only mom that made it inside with 500 hyper kids!!! Police were searching for someone on foot that they thought might have gotten onto the school grounds, they kept the kids after school, while they were trying to decide what to do, when they spotted him, so they locked the doors with me inside! Someday, Claire and I can compare stories!
I'm glad everyone is safe! Someday this will be a fun story for your family to tell. In the 80's my kids had constant lockdowns due to bomb threats. They were all fake but they had to do the lockdowns just in case.
Post a Comment