January 26, 2014

Seahawks




I am sort of, kind of, a football fan.  I used to like watching our high school team play, mainly because it meant I got to cheer, and see the boys play.  Then I went to college and I liked going to football games because of the excitement of the crowd, and I liked seeing the boys in the stadium who were also watching the game.  Now I like to watch football because I like being with the boys in my family.  So I guess my enjoyment of football has always revolved around boys!

Well this week, my enjoyment of football revolves around not only boys, but our whole community.   Our Seahawks are going to the Superbowl and Superbowl fever is everywhere!  It has been really fun and exciting!  Everything is in blue and green and people have signs on their cars and lights on their houses.   Everyone is wearing Seahawks shirts, hats, scarves, and socks.  Babies have Seahawks bibs and bows in their hair.  I don't know much about our team except the names of a few of the players.  But I love feeling the community coming together and sharing something exciting together.

Our family has a long standing tradition of recording the Superbowl and watching it later.  We have so much fun!  The trick is to not find out the score!  It pops up on our phones, or someone will call or text and spill the beans.  We have learned to unplug from all our electronics so no one finds out who wins before our midnight party.  We have to answer our phone by saying, "If you know the score, please don't say anything!"  We used to have friends from the ward join us and that was the most fun.  When Reid was YM President he had all the boys over.  They had a tough time not watching the real game but they did it!  And what teenage kid doesn't like having a party at midnight!  One of these boys now does this tradition with his own family. 

We never have intended it to be that at the stroke of midnight it's not the Sabbath any more so bring on the football.  No, we're not that letter-of-the-law people!  Sometimes we watch at 5 AM instead.  We just like keeping football out of our Sabbath day.  If others want to enjoy the game with family and friends, we do not care or judge you.  It's just been our little thing we started years ago and it turned into a really strange tradition that we now look forward to!

So this is what I may look like while you're sleeping in the early morning hours of Feb. 3:

 

 Reid is having all his employees were Seahawks gear to work on Friday.  I bet he won't be the only office doing that.  And if we don't win, I'm just glad we're having this fun week leading up to it and feeling community spirit.

GO SEAHAWKS

 

2 comments:

Jeff said...

It's a Seahawk party up here! Go Hawks! (although I like Peyton Manning as Denver QB

Laura said...

I was wondering if you guys were going to do the midnight superbowl party. I wasn't sure if Claire would be into it...but if boys are involved?? :)