October 22, 2013

October Fruit Treat.....it's not too late!

As part of my calling in the Stake Relief Society Presidency we put on a little dessert/social after the General Relief Society Broadcast.  I was in charge of it this year.  I had a committee and we did mini fruit "pizza's.  We had sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting and you could put your choice of 5fruits on it.  It was a huge hit!  We offered raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi and mandarin oranges.

All of the fruit was popular, but one of the fruits the sisters were going through at a very fast rate!  I couldn't keep up on our bowls that kept emptying!  Can you guess which one it was? 

A hint:  I was in the kitchen cutting it up the whole time!  It was the Kiwi's.  And I learned a very good way to cut a kiwi!  You cut off both ends, then stick a spoon down the sides.  The skin will come off super easy and then you can slice the Kiwi nicely.  It really works great!  If you want more information, just google how to cut a kiwi because that's how I learned.  Kiwi's are still in season until November so it's not too late to get some and try them out.  They are very good for you and full of vitamin C to help fend off those Fall colds.

I personally recommend the Kiwi's from New Zealand sold at Costco.  They are very sweet.  You have to buy a bunch of them, so share them!  They don't last too long in the fridge, at least not this time of year.  Bring them home from the store and dig in.....literally.... with a spoon to get the skin off in a very easy way!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yum.....I love kiwi. We make smoothies with them and raspberries!!

Laura said...

I guessed kiwis! I don't ever buy them because I think they are a pain to prepare. Now I know the trick!

MaryAnn said...

Fruit pizzas is the cutest idea! I bet Jacob and Lily would love trying Kiwi.

Annette said...

What a fun idea!!! I love it!

MollyE said...

I taught a nutrition relief society activity and learned that kiwi have more vitamin c than an orange! Great dessert idea.