October 30, 2012

I'm Falling!

I officially love Fall. This is big news! I have previously not been a fan. Gold, rust, and browns are not my favorite colors. Dead looking trees didn't hold much beauty to me. And as previously stated, I do NOT like the blood and guts part of Halloween.

I don't know why, but I now love the Fall! I love the smell in the air, the crisp feeling outside, the color changing leaves, and the delicious soups, stews, and pumpkin foods. We made Carmel apples last night. We drank apple cider. We are looking forward to raking our millions of leaves (seriously millions, and seriously we enjoy doing it!). We will be at our ward Trunk or Treat on Halloween night eating hot dogs, and then going over to a friends' home where we go almost every year and hang out with lots of other families. We will come home and do a revised walk through our woods which is our Halloween night tradition. It will have to be revised due to the winter storm last year that destroyed our path. But we love this scary tradition! Think Halloween night. Think completely dark. Think woods. Yep, it is a great combo. About every third person gets a flashlight. We wear shoes that are ok to get muddy. And bring friends who are up to the challenge.

One thing I have learned from our tradition is that when there is only a few of us, it is a much more intense experience. We walk slow. We hear every little sound. But when there is lots of people, it is not as scary because everyone brings some nervous energy, and they try to scare each other, and talk and laugh so you don't hear all the twigs breaking and unknown noises out in the woods.

Hm...I think this is a life lesson. It is much more intense to go through life's dark paths alone and much less scary when you share it with others.

Here is a picture of Brielle and a friend. Some time I'll write about the story behind this pumpkin outfit. It has to do with me, Target, a pregnancy test, and a high school musical. And it ends with Claire!





4 comments:

Laura said...

What? You can't leave us hanging!! What is the pumpkin costume story?

Target, pumpkin costume, pregnancy test & high school musical....

hmm. My guess is you were watching me in my high school musical, and had an epiphany..you wanted another fantastic girl! A few months later, you took a pregnancy test that you stole from Target (we all know your Target history!), you found out you were pregnant and immediately bought a pumpkin costume in the hopes that fate would give you a baby with hair the color of a pumpkin. And it worked!

Am I right?

Janis said...

Isn't Fall the best?!! I love your Halloween traditions! And I think Laura has a great guess for the story--will the real story top it?? Standing by to find out!

MollyE said...

What awesome Halloween Traditions!

Jeff said...

Sill waiting to hear the pumpkin outfit story ... I do like Laura's rendition.