October 2, 2008




You're such a Deer!

This isn't a great picture, but can you see the deer in our backyard? They come up right close to the house. I have friends that feed their deer apples every day at 5 PM. I want to get that cozy with the deer in our yard, but I haven't attempted it yet. I do put apples out in the yard, though! (Hey, we're in Washington....apples are plentiful!) I thought we would see less of them now that we have kittens (another blog!) but they still come around every few days, and don't seem to care about the kitties. Our friends told us that deer are just "cute rodents". I do get mad when they eat my flowers, but people around here just say, "Plant double....some for the deer, some for you." I guess that's what you have to do otherwise we wouldn't have any flowers at all. Occasionally we see bucks with antlers, but usually we just have does and babies (with the cute little spots on them.) This particular deer in the picture is a baby that lost it's spots and is just growing "fur": they go through kind of a shabby, gray hair phase before they turn into the beautiful deer we think of. Kind of opposite of us......we are beautiful deers when we're young, and then go through the shabby, gray hair phase!! Oh deer!

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

That is so amazing to have deer right in your backyard! I am jealous. Though I don't think I'd like sharing my flowers. With my luck, I'd plant double and the deer would just take seconds and I still wouldn't have any!

Janis said...

You are a "deer" sister! And a good writer!